Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Winner Shall Be Declared After I Figure Out This Rule

The games: Pittsburgh vs. Atlanta. Portland Winterhawks vs. Vancouver Giants (WHL Playoffs, Round 2, Game 5).

Why I chose them: I'm still trying to figure out how Atlanta pushed Pittsburgh to an overtime last time. It's win or go home for Portland. If we lose tonight, we're done. Sadder, though, is that it would be the last WHL game for Chris Francis, Stefan Schneider and Eric Doyle.

This wasn't exactly what I had in mind/final score: Atlanta 1, Pittsburgh 0. Well, at least they didn't go to OT again. Portland had a 3-0 lead midway through the second, which we just lost in 1:37 during three consecutive power plays and three consecutive Vancouver goals. Oh wait...we're back thanks to a goal by resident playmaking genius Ryan Johansen...we're up 4 - 3 at the end of the second.

The rules: Section 4, Playing Rules. Rule 419, Ice Cleaning. Rule 420, Timing of Game. Rule 421, Overtime Period.

Pretty standard fare, except for this: 421, Overtime Period. In a game where a winner shall be declared, the game shall be prolonged by an actual time "Sudden Victory" overtime period. If no goal is scored, game winning shots shall apply. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if there's a winner declared, what do you need an overtime for? Perhaps its the European meaning of "shall be declared"... as in the winner "shall be declared" AFTER the overtime. Also, if no goal is scored, how can there be a game winning shot? I give up. There may be hope for the Winterhawks, but there is none for me.

Seriously, do we need a rule for this?: 419, Ice Cleaning. Referee has the authority to remove a build up of snow around the goal post or on the goal line near the net. And they look so authoritative when they're squatting down scraping ice into a pile, don't they?

Morals of the story:

The game: Getting to the top is easier than staying there. Atlanta has nothing to lose...so they didn't. Portland has everything to lose...so they aren't. So far.

Life: I now have a new way to de-stress at work when I'm taking more crap than I get paid for. I will just picture my higher-ups at my cube, removing a build up of lint and croissant fallout around the garbage can or near the line of "floor fur" around my file cabinet. Because after all, only they have the authority to do so.

Next up on 4/11: Section 4, Playing Rules. Rule 422, Time Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment