Sunday, November 21, 2010

Line Brawls and High Scoring Games and El Nino, Oh My!

The game: Portland Winterhawks vs. Kamloops Blazers (WHL).

The numbers:

Portland 6, Kamloops 4.

Number of line brawls, instigated by Kamloops goalie Jeff Bosch: 1.

Number of players ejected from said brawl: 5. Plus Tyler Wotherspoon earlier in the game for a different scrap.

Penalty minutes: Kamloops 101. Portland 65.

Goaltenders ejected: Both starting goalies were ejected, seeing as how Mac Carruth (drafted 191st by Chicago in the 2010 Entry Draft) wasn't taking any of Bosch's crap. Both left with leaving the crease, a major for fighting and a game misconduct, which I believe is automatic in such cases.

Number of fights the last time we played Kamloops: Zero.

But that didn't prevent El Nino from blowing past everyone and everything: The New York Islanders first round pick (5th overall) proceeded to score two goals in the midst of the boxing match that was last night's game, earning him the first star of the night.

Read all about it here: www.oregonlive.com/hawks.

I couldn't find the WHL rulebook anywhere, but let's refresh on what the NHL book says about kerfuffles like this: 47.12, Instigator in the Final Five Minutes of Regulation Time (or Anytime in Overtime). A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five (5) minutes of regulation time or any time in overtime shall be assessed an instigator minor penalty, a major penalty for fighting, and a game misconduct penalty, subject to the conditions outlined in 47.22.

The morals of last night's story: 1) When in doubt, leave the line brawling to the goaltenders. 2) The Portland Winterhawks should go on long road trips more often (this was their first home game after the 2-week East Swing). 3) The real El Nino is outside (it's snowing here in Portland with more on the way), the nicknamed one is inside (Nino Niederreiter) and we host the Spokane Chiefs. I expect some serious play from the Hawks that are left standing. Game on.

1 comment:

  1. Samantha,

    First let me come clean. I'm not a hockey geek, or even a fan really. I prefer tennis and basketball. But need guidance from an expert.

    You see, I married into a Canadian family, and while my wife prefers chamber music, her 3 brothers were all raised on the Maple Leafs.

    So here is my question:

    Brother in-law # 1 (who still plays in an "old guys" league at age 60) wants to introduce my five year old son to his hockey heritage.

    Now I absolutely appreciate the athleticism, the skating, the puck wizardry of the game. I read Bobby Orr's biography as a kid and had my own Blackhawks jersey. I cried watching the 1980 Olympic gold medal team too. But I'll be honest, I can't use the fighting.

    So, as I say, my son is 5. H hasn't entered the world of TV and action movies. He's never seen a fistfight,much less a bare-knuckles brawl on skates.

    So as someone seeking to be a responsible parent,please tell me if a Winterhawks game is the appropriate place to introduce a child to the sport?

    What are the chances I will make it through 3 periods without holding my hands over his eyes (and/ or ears)?

    Thanks,

    darrelljazz

    ReplyDelete